The Wellington Mills Post Office was first situated at the railway ticketing office and then at the new Post Office building, shown left, in 1906. It is believed that after the Marriners ran it in the 1920s, the Post Office went back to the Mill Store for some time. When Mrs Hulm took over the post, it moved back to what is still known as the old Post Office.
The Wellington Mills postal service was run by many residents until its closure in 1972.
Miss Grover is mentioned as working there in 1913 but there is no record of her in the Postal Directories.
Others recorded or recalled were:
1914-1916 – Mr Edward Hanna
1915 – Charles Firman (employee)
1917 – E Turner (acting)
1917-19 – Fred Wall
1920 – I Thomas (acting)
1921 – H W Metcher
1922 – Mrs E Roberts
1923-25 – Mrs A E Shelley
1926-27 – Mrs Connie Marriner
192?-1940 – Olga Evensen
1941-54 – Florence Hulm
1954-64 – Joan Gardiner
1964-72 – Margaret Gardiner
In 1956 a switchboard was installed at the Post Office. Nine subscribers were connected, including two party lines. Joan Gardiner and then Margaret Gardiner operated the exchange.
Wellington Mills’ final postmistress, Margaret Gardiner, took over postal duties on 1 June 1964. Many services were provided through the Post Office. It collected and distributed mail and sold bread, papers and confectionery. By 1970, there were 14 telephone subscribers including several businesses.
In 1972, the Post Office was closed. The manual telephone exchange was no longer needed as an automatic system had been installed at Ferguson. Margaret Gardiner was advised of the anticipated date; 28 June 1972. The mail was subsequently delivered by car from Dardanup to private roadside mail boxes. Eddie Crisman also delivered bread to residents twice a week throughout Ferguson and Wellington Mills until about 1975.
The Wellington Mills school had closed at the end of 1971 when students were transferred to a new centralised school in Hayward St, Dardanup. In 1972 the old Billiards Hall was dismantled, the timber sold and the proceeds donated to the St John’s Ambulance Fund.
The demise of these public buildings; the school, the Post Office and Billiards Hall within such a short time, swept away the last vestiges of the life that had existed in the original town. Despite this, the small community remained a strong one and the physical beauty of the area would soon attract a new population to Wellington Mills.
- Calcei, J: Wellngton Mills – A History (2008), South West Printing and Publishing, Bunbury, pp. 158-161,